Who Am I?
My Name is Andreas Frank Hoffmann. I was born in the late 70’s and grown up in a small town near the Baltic Sea in the eastern part of Germany. Now I am living with my wonderful wife in Germany’s capital city Berlin.
My career was always centered around building technical systems with more and more complexity and data throughput:
- 2018 development and testing of strategies for automated cryptocurrency trading on various crypto-exchanges via API
- 2017 successfully participating in weekly Numerai stock market prediction competition with my evolutionary computing framework
- 2016 starting with growth hacking & programmatic advertising for paid and organic traffic with the help of APIs and BI software as Director of Demand Generation for a fast growing SASS startup
- 2015 establishing a traffic data-warehouse: consolidation of complex and organically grown online-marketing tool landscape into a unified self hosted business-intelligence infrastructure as Head of Traffic at one of the biggest German price comparison websites
- 2008 beginning with the development of a framework for evolutionary-computing for machine learning
- 2006 building of an advanced, continuous Google monitoring infrastructure of >1 Mio keywords as founder and CEO of SearchLab, an SEO consulting angency
- 2003 development of SEO tools for daily Google-position tracking
- 2001 starting with SEO and affiliate marketing
- 1997 web-development and web server administration
What do I do for a living?
Because of my interest in web design and data mining I came early in contact with technical online marketing and especially search engine optimization for Google (SEO).
- 01/1996: I started my career as a web developer in the design studio of my father, while was still going to school and later university
- 05/2001: I started developing my first SEO-tools and was working as Inhouse SEO / SEO Consultant for some german price comparison websites
- 07/2004 – 02/2006: I was working as Inhouse SEO for Testberichte.de
- 03/2006 – 12/2014: I was running the SearchLab GmbH, a highly specialized consulting agency for technical SEO as CEO and Senior SEO
- 01/2015 – 08/2016: I was working as part of the management team, in the role of the Head of Traffic, for one of Germany’s biggest consumer portals, Testberichte.de
- Since 09/2016: I’m working as Director of Demand Generation for Contentful, one of the fastest growing German tech startups in the SaaS / content-microservice domain
What does “theafh” stand for?
This is my internet pseudonym I am using for many years. It is a compound of “the” and my initials “A.F.H”.
After using it for such a long time it became part of my online identity and it was the next logical step to register it as a domain name and start my new blogging project with this name.
My favorite quote
“Specialization is for insects“ – It is part of a much longer quote from the novel “Time Enough for Love” from Robert A. Heinlein:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects
I stumbled upon this quote and thought “this nails down how I feel about myself”. I found it always hard to do only one thing. My interests include diverse topics ranging from Data-Mining to Evolutionary-Computing, Political-Philosophy, Futurology, Digital Photography and Sculpting. Some of this topics will be subjects of further posts.