What is this website all about?
It’s simply a personal Blog, expressing my private opinion about some of my diverse topics of interest and presenting some projects. 🙂
Who Am I?
My Name is Andreas Frank Hoffmann. I was born in the late 70’s and grown up in a small town near the Baltic Sea in the eastern part of Germany. Now I am living with my wonderful wife in Germany’s capital city Berlin.
What do I do for a living?
Because of my interest in web design and data mining I came early in contact with technical online marketing and especially search engine optimization for Google (SEO).
- 01/1996: I started my career as a web developer in the design studio of my father, while was still going to school and later university
- 05/2001: I started developing my first SEO-tools and was working as Inhouse SEO / SEO Consultant for some german price comparison websites
- 07/2004 – 02/2006: I was working as Inhouse SEO for Testberichte.de
- 03/2006 – 12/2014: I was running the SearchLab GmbH, a highly specialized consulting agency for technical SEO as CEO and Senior SEO
- 01/2015 – 08/2016: I was working as part of the management team, in the role of the Head of Traffic, for one of Germany’s biggest consumer portals, Testberichte.de
- Since 09/2016: I’m working as Director of Demand Generation for Contentful, one of the fastest growing German tech startups in the SaaS / content-microservice domain
What does “theafh” stand for?
This is my internet pseudonym I am using for many years. It is a compound of “the” and my initials “A.F.H”.
After using it for such a long time it became part of my online identity and it was the next logical step to register it as a domain name and start my new blogging project with this name.
My favorite quote
“Specialization is for insects“ – It is part of a much longer quote from the novel “Time Enough for Love” from Robert A. Heinlein:
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects
I stumbled upon this quote and thought “this nails down how I feel about myself”. I found it always hard to do only one thing. My interests include diverse topics ranging from Data-Mining to Evolutionary-Computing, Political-Philosophy, Futurology, Digital Photography and Sculpting. Some of this topics will be subjects of further posts.